Saturday, November 14, 2009

Nope.

Adilla and I shared a similar childhood+life. We both used to live in England for a few years when we were smaller, our parents both work in USM, we both love art, we both don't live on the Island and we both travel around a lot.

We were talking about this a few days ago. About how people never understood our schedule. How people consider us lucky and fortunate and pampered, because we get to travel to many places, free of charge and that we get to skip school a lot. I agree that we are both indeed, very fortunate. But most of the time, it's not a very fun life.

Our life revolves around our parents' work. If they have to go outstation, we have to follow them. Note: have to. Because no one can take care of us at home. No one can send us to school, especially when you live around 40 km away from school |:

Of course, trips are always fun. Well, used to be. Back when we were younger, a swimming pool and arcade would suffice for us kids. Now that we're older, they don't. We have to sit in a car/bus for hours on end, not actually able to do anything besides sleep and listen to music (in my case, lol. I can't read in the car anymore, I get headaches). We have to leave our friends/responsibilities/lessons in school because our parents have to work. And when you miss a lot of lessons, it's not fun having to catch up by yourself.

Then when we arrive at our destination, we check in, talk to our parents for like half an hour, and they're off. Leaving us in the hotel room. They'll call every few hours/come back to bring us food. We only see them again at night. After all, they're there to work. When I was smaller I couldn't go anywhere without my parents, so I just sat in the room.

And we rarely get to go for outings because we live so far from the malls our friends go to. Also sometimes, we just want to spend the weekend at home. We rarely get to stay at home. I remember a time when we had to leave the house at 6:30 am sharp, and only come back later at night around 7/8 pm. By 10 we were already in bed. That's like..2-3 hours max of home time.

I know I skip school a lot. When I'm forced to leave Penang for a few days, I get left behind in school. Eventually I get tired of not understanding lessons and I just continue to skip because I started hating lessons. I get annoyed when I come back to school after a trip, and people tell me how lucky I was to be able to skip school and stay at a hotel while they were stuck in a classroom doing work. "FINALLY, you're back".

It also gets tougher trying to explain to the teacher why you're absent. My parents get tired too, and sometimes want the day off. They want to sleep in and rest and spend some time at home too. If they send me to school, which is an hour away, they have to stay in Penang until I finish school.

But I guess, a life like that isn't so bad. You just have to understand that it comes with a price.

/end rant


No comments: