Monday, December 21, 2009

Of lingo and languages.

I get really annoyed whenever I see someone try to use bombastic english words when their basic grammar isn't even correct. When you can't differentiate between your it's and its, or your and you're, or when to put the 's', you really shouldn't add in words that you'd need a dictionary to understand, in between them. It just isn't nice to read, and it's pretty obvious that you want to show off your "wide vocabulary". -.-

Anyway, the same goes with me and BM. I can't speak fluent bm. For some reason, it's very hard for me to speak a sentence in full malay without adding any english in it. Rojaklah, basically.

See? I just did it again.

I used to be jealous of people with accents. I remember (I still do this actually) faking accents according to the state i'm in and the person i'm talking to. If i'm talking to a real pure penangite with all the 'cik, mamu, mami, aiyak (air)', i'll try to sound like I have a penang accent. When I balik kampung, I'll fake a perak accent. 'kome, dema, aiyo (air)'. But it doesn't come naturally to me. But it helps me feel more like a malay instead of a mat saleh celup ._.

When I came back from England at the age of..5 or 6, I couldn't speak a word of malay. I couldn't even pronounce my cousins' name xD Syahira and Shazea. Oh God that was so lol. I still remember asking my mom how to pronounce it, knowing that we were going to Malaysia soon and meeting them. After that, while my family was staying at my aunt's house because we didn't have a house of our own yet, my cousins and I would sit in the tree house in their front yard during the evenings and they would try and teach me malay words. xD

Good times, good times. Baik masa, baik masa.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well for the its and it's most people (including myself) like to not add up the "Apostrophe" mark since its just reading and you will understand it anyway even if we didnt put the apostrophe

Alisa said...

Yeah I know but some people use the apostrophe anyway and then put it in the wrong place ._. if like, throughout the whole blog, tarak apostrophe, then takpelah.

DillaM said...

OMG. we were in the same boat! i mean abt the england thing. I came back and I couldnt understand nor speak a single malay word. And we stayed at my grandma's house because we didnt have a house of our own. lol lol kita serupa! xD (btw this is adilla, im just too lazy to log out of my google account)